January 3, 2009

A New Year, A New Character. Maybe?


"Was it worth it?"

A guild mate asked me this right as Khasotholas, my refer-a-friend Druid, achieved the pinnacle of old world content. It's a really simple question, and the answer would definitely be yes, but it haunted me nonetheless.

He wasn't talking about the refer process itself but the psychotic way Milkshake (the guild member who refered my second account) and myself actually got our alts to 60. The refer-a-friend bonus experience only lasts 3 months and ours expired New Years Day. Doesn't seem so bad, 3 months to get to 60 with 3x the normal experience? Not so bad if you don't start the process with patch 3.0 and Wrath coming out right smack in the middle of it.

Not being an alt guy, both of those releases gave me an excuse to play Rhegma almost exclusively for two months. Initially we were clearing Zul'Aman with our now godlike characters, then I was leveling to 80. Being the official off tank, gearing up was the next priority if the guild wanted to see Naxxramas any time soon. Savory and myself are still working on that.

Considering all that, we had two weeks to get 35 levels on Khas. Our plan? Dual boxing. I would clear an instance on Rhegma, with Khas autofollowing Milk's shaman. It worked great but it was stressful. Our hours don't overlap well and the holidays were coming up. It came down to 4-6 hour runs 3 nights in a row, of Scholomance, Stratholme and Dire Maul. Right up until December 30th. We hit 60 and I got asked the question...

Now Khasotholas is in Outland, sitting in that same spot pictured above, waiting for me to give him attention. Will I? That's the issue. That's the reason the question bothered me, because I don't know if it was. The grind was stressful but fun so I can't complain. It's just that the time, money and effort, in hindsight, don't feel worth it. Not to have a character I might not even play. Milkshake has his Shaman and a Priest so, in that regard, the program was a success and I thank him for doing it with me.

Like I said, I'm not an alt guy. I don't know what it is, all the classes appeal to me and at times I have crazy roleplaying ideas that make me create new characters. They just never get past 10. Nick had to drag Savraeth (my priest) kicking and screaming to 52. He eventually got tired of me and left her behind. He's 70something and she's still 52.



I went from being a heavy PvP player with no alts, to a borderline casual raider with 4. Maybe, I'm an asshole and I am an alt guy after all...

1 comment:

Nick said...

I wouldn't say tired so much as impatient. 46-57 is my favorite part of the old world leveling process and I just couldn't wait anymore.